Sunday, July 17, 2011

WHAT IS SANITY?


Class has started in ONLINE PORTFOLIO DESIGN complete with computer scripting and I am already struggling with sanity. I thought I would share a bit about how I save my sanity. I will now reveal bits and pieces of my studio life this week.  DON’T JUDGE.

POP SURREALISM - KEEPING THE INTELLECT ALIVE
I have to admit that since my disturbing journey into the mind of doll enthusiast, Hans Bellmer, and his obssession with pre pubescent sexuality – my passion for surrealism was ignited. Dolls frighten me to begin with, what Bellmer did with them (and the stories behind them, the stories of his obsessions) downright freaked me the eff out.

Even this doll is creepy. Why is he naked on a swing?
I know it means something.

I blame my brother. He once took all of my baby dolls, took their heads off, put them in a rinse tub of red water and laid a knife on the side of said wash tub. I was 8 years old at the time. It was awesome. I am almost sure that ruined my psyche for baby dolls... or perhaps the neighbor girl's odd passionate attachment to Mrs. Beasley did it.
Death Doll or Mrs. Beasley - You Decide!

The Bellmer study included the equally disturbing journey into the mind of Unica Zürn who was Bellmer’s living doll. But alas, who among us can live up to a fantasy? She eventually came to resemble one of his unnaturally contorted eloquantly twisted dolls when she took a dive out of a window in 1970. Surrealism is disturbing. I apparently like disturbing.
Creepy and Creepy II

Kids, in all sincerity, go well BEYOND the textbooks when studying Surrealism. Look into Freud’s theories of sexuality, the deviant behaviors of the artist, their explorations  and how they were symbolicly brought to life in their works—both consciously and subconsciously.  But I digress…
I have been spending a lot of time taking in POP SURREALISM also known as LOWBROW. I particularly love the focus on the narrative and technical skills: FROM WIKIPEDIA (I can't stand Wikipedia - but hey)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lowbrow_%28art_movement%29

Here is the culmination of all of the above:

BEELZEBABE


MY TIME ONLINE
SWEETJEESUSTHISISTHE WORSTWEBSITEEVER!
http://www.dokimos.org/ajff/

Christ, I'm having a seizure.


HORSE TURDS
When a situation arose that someone would say, “We did _______.”  If the action was unsavory my dad would respond, “We?  WE? ‘We’ is a horseturd in France!” I have no idea what that means. One night I social networked the comment. I asked my friend Google what that saying meant. I found that someone else was also burning with curiosity:
Glad I could help.


SENTINELS IN THE STUDIO 566 ARCHITECTURE

LIFE IN THE 419 - FLOOR 5


The reason I never answer my studio door...

The Monster Clam! Arrrrrgh! And the short bus. I can't use my supply shelves.

I can't use my desk.

I can't use my love seat.
Why yes, that is a whip and a package of rope. Why do you ask?


The gauntlet leading to the restroom.
It seems even longer when you have REALLY got to go...

In the elevator



This is why Toledo can't have nice things.

Frivolous fun with the board alphabet - it's ME!

This is why the walls of the 5th floor can't have nice things.

A Sentinel



The sentinels

The view out of the Secor Building. All in all...

SENTIMENTS FROM STUDIO 566
Here is the week's fair from Studio 566:
WAITING

WAITING - DETAIL

JILL AND BARB

HE IS, TOO.

DO IT.

THE BUNNIES OF SOLDOTNA, ALASKA

~Tea~



WHAT IN THE NAME OF ALL THINGS GOOD!? - or - PARKING LOT ADVENTURES
What in the name of all things good is THIS?? SERIOUSLY? It was near my car. It must have caused the cracks in the black top when it fell from the sky...

It has a HUGE stinger

Oh well... it could always be worse...


 THE END
REBEL

2 comments:

  1. Stare at the Jesus Flash movie long enough and His image appears. But you have to drop blotter acid first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so enjoyed the tour of the Secor.....I have some of my own pictures of my adventures to the studio I really should blog about. People that IS the reason she doesn't open her door, and if your lucky to get her to first she will yell thru the door "Hold on I have to find my pants" That just adds to your charm Pen :)

    ReplyDelete