Sunday, January 29, 2012

FEAR AND LOATHING IN OHIO





TWEEDLES
Remember this?

BEHOLD

I am now even more famous in my own mind. This illustration solicited SO MUCH fan mail! Again, I have to thank my minions.





"I got a look at your editorial cartoon in the Free Press and was thoroughly amused. Thomas Nast couldn't have done better. Very Cool!"  --G.W.





Very kind words from someone I do not even know! Ok... so he is a friend of mine. And it was the only comment I received. But still...




GLASS CITY TREES

In this here Toledo, Ohio, we are called THE GLASS CITY. Glass is the predominant export of this port. We have both wild and domestic glass. Most prefer the domestic because it is easier to attain. Others like to track the wild glass and bag it themselves. Here we see the elusive TREE GLASS in its natural habitat. We are careful not to startle it. Isn't she beautiful?
WHY A GLASS WAS LODGED IN THIS TREE
IS  BEYOND ME.


GOREY
I have been on an Edward Gorey kick as of late. He actually took a few illustration courses at The Art Institute in Chicago. He felt no need to complete the program. I love the man’s work. His ability to draw the macabre so tongue in check is amazing.  Many folks know him from his Gashlycrumb Tinies Alphabet.
I ALMOST DIED OF ENNUI...

GOREY AT REST ON HIS COUCH WITH HIS CAT


MY SIMS AT REST ON A COUCH AT A NEIGHBOR'S HOUSE - COINCIDENCE!??
Do not overlook Gorey’s THE OBJECT-LESSON, however. It is a critical work in surreal illustration… He is considered "Goth" or "Dark" but Gorey himself referred to his style as “LITERARY NONSENSE.”




OMGZ!!! A BUHHEH!







The result of this fascination is an illustration coupled with another strange fascination I currently have with an incomparable Mr. G and the Mysterious A.  Together, they travel the world and write about their grand adventures while I suffer fear and loathing in Ohio. Their words tell the tale. My drawings… well… tell on me.




STUDIO 566
And now… some bunnies:

SHE IS EXHAUSTED

HE IS EXHAUSTED

THE LITTLE HEARTBEAT AT MY FEET
(BECAUSE GREATNESS BEGINS ON THE COUCH)


SUCH EXPRESSION!





P
OLITICS
The Toledo Free Press ran a guest columnist (named Bunch) this week. His disparaging remarks about those in power refusing to “preserve” the historical aspects of this city read like a metaphorical tsunami. (See what I did there?) In all seriousness, he used more metaphors than someone who uses a lot of metaphors. In fact, it was difficult discerning the opinion hidden behind the literary device. Here is my rebuttal:









IMA GAY-AY-AY-AY-ROLLER
A gift from my daughter’s girlfriend. Yes, I am a liberal-minded poor artist. I realize I am more of a stereotype than a human being. Except for drug use. Unless, of course you count medication, then I am a stereotype. Is rocking naked in the dark while weeping openly an artist stereotype also? But I digress… I wore this shirt to coffee with an evangelical. I thought she was staring at my breasts. Then, upon arriving home and passing a mirror...  In the first (and only day) I wore my new shirt, I burned a hole in it with a stick of incense and I spotted it up with bleach while cleaning my kitchen.

THE RAINBOW AGENDA




SOMETIMES
I cruise the internets and find the MOST fascinating of things. I found this little doodle. It is of a woman named, Joyce Farmer. Now, I do not know Joyce Farmer. I have no clue as to who she is or what she does. But this doodle is her. It has an uncanny resemblance to someone I know...


COINCIDENCE!?







NO CLASS

I begin my new class tomorrow. I have no idea what it is. I have not even approved my schedule. I suppose I may want to do that.  After all – completion is a necessity. With the exception of Edward Gorey. Alas…





THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment