Thursday, April 5, 2012

FIFTEEN MINUTES AND COUNTING


ART IS ANYTHING
YOU CAN GET AWAY WITH


HUH?

AS PROMISED
POPPED UP WHEN I GOOGLE "AS PROMISED"


TOLEDO MUD HENS OPENING DAY 2012
The project that has had me hidden away for awhile:
The cover for THE TOLEDO FREE PRESS Opening Day for the Toledo Mud Hens:




MY NAME!



See the online version of the 90 page Toledo Free Press Mud Hens Opening Day special here:
http://www.toledofreepress.com/2012/03/30/pounds-put-me-in-coach/
WANNA BUY 5 COPIES FOR MY MOTHER


The design is also featured as a poster insert in this week’s FREE PRESS STAR:

CENTERFOLD WITHOUT
STAPLES IN MY NAVEL!

And as if all of that wasn’t exciting enough, my cover went national and is listed as one of the best opening day front pages on Charles Apple’s American Copy Editor Society column! The Toledo Free Press is listed with RedEye — the free commuter tab published by the Chicago Tribune, The Boston Globe, The Miami Herald and other “heavy hitters”!

The TOLEDO FREE PRESS is listed as:
Batting last but starring on the mound today is our pitcher, the twice-weekly…
FREE PRESS
--Toledo, Ohio.
I ILLUSTRATED THE MUDDY ALSO!

4/5/12
Charles Apple from the American Copy Editor Society wrote a column titled: A starting lineup of the day's best Opening Day front pages. (And my illustration of Muddy was used by James Molnar for the front page of the inside insert!) I am BEYOND honored!

To think that since I can remember, I have been drawing cartoon versions of everyone I know...

Thank you everyone at the Free Press!
And Thanks to Mike Miller for putting up with my sense of humor!



STADIUM SEATING THESE HERE TOLEDO STYLE
SEATS 223 and 224

4 comments:

  1. Hey Penny - I clicked on your link today for a couple of reasons. The first is that I just HAD to find out what the Toledo Mud Hens are. Can you believe I didn't know already? When it comes to sports, "culturally challenged" doesn't even begin to cover it. It took me a few minutes to realize the Toledo Mud Hens are your local baseball team, and then a few more minutes on top of that to confirm the fact. I didn't want to make a fool of myself when I posted my comment.

    So now that I have figured it out and confirmed it, I want to congratulate you on an amazing opening day cover. It's great to see you getting the recognition you deserve from the official illustration world--American Copy Editor Society, etc. That will undoubtedly lead to more commissions down the line.

    The second thing that attracted my attention to your blog this morning was the top quotation and picture--that IS Andy Warhol, right? The picture is very familiar, but the quotation isn't.

    "Art is anything you can get away with." Would you believe I have NEVER read that before? I don't know how I could have lived though the Sixties and missed it, but somehow I did.

    Art is anything you can get away with.

    I'm going to have to remember that.

    Love and Light,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy Warhol - Yes. His Quote - Yes. And thank you so much!!!
    PS. It doesn't surprise me that you don't remember something (that quote) from the 60's. It's probably the same reason I don't remember much from the 80's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm familiar with that famous saying, "If you can remember the Sixties, you weren't really there." You're going to have take my word for it that I *was* there and I remember more than some people wish I did. I'm referring of course to my old boyfriends, a couple of whom are unaccountably still speaking to me. But that's only because *they* don't remember much...unless I remind them, of course. I try to be as discreet as possible in that area but don't always succeed. If you know what I mean (and I think you do).

      Delete
  3. If this cover is any indication, along with your Studio 566 and bunny work, of what you can do, I'd say the 15 minutes is just starting to be counted not counted down. Great job!

    ReplyDelete