Saturday, May 14, 2011

THERE WOULD BE NO CHARLATANS IF THERE WERE NO FOOLS

I swear my classes are beginning to repeat themselves. I know I have seen these design briefs at least 3 times prior to this new class. Maybe I am Déjà vu Challenged. My company of choice (this quarter, unless I am having Déjà vu) is SMUCKER’S. I chose it. I did. It’s so… OHIO. I know Ohio.

I decided for giggles I would market their jelly in China. China does not eat American Jelly. But, since Honorable Daughter #1 has dated just about every Asian man in a 5 mile radius, I feel I have a wealth of resources at her fingertips (so to speak). Although I do remember hearing, “They don’t like me. I’m white.” The boys liked her, just not the culture. And white? That, we are. We pose a danger at the beach, in fact.
NOTE: we are gingers and we are THIS white:


Where the hell are her freckles?






 


IT IS FINISHED

I actually FINISHED my online portfolio. I have a hair too many pieces in it, but I would rather trim it down than sit here and stare at the empty screen any longer. My eyes burn.  I am also caught up on my online gallery, my resume is updated and I am now catching up on my blog…



 



AND NOW… THE ONLINE PORTFOLIO


I do not use this image.

I decided to go with Deviant Art’s portfolio site. It is simple, classy and very easy, like me! Feel free to peruse and oo and ahh – for either the portfolio OR me. OR BOTH! I shall bask either way. CLICK THE LINK. DO IT:  http://studio566.daportfolio.com/



 
CURRENT DESIGN TRENDS—MUST HAVE SITES
These sites are a MUST. They keep designers/illustrators up-to-date on trends and offer much inspiration. These two sites alone kept me distracted from life for a couple of hours. It’s like crack without the weight loss. Or itching. Or jail time.

From Graphic Design USA:
Logolounge THE 2011 REPORT
The first word on emerging logo directions from Bill Gardner, principal of Gardner Design and creator of the LogoLounge online database. Among the trendspotting: Earths, Fruits, Trees, Loopys, Monolines, Bands, Gradients, Vibrations, Concentrics, Dandruff, Commas, Series, Browns, Blackholes, Obama-inspired O's…
Obama inspired O's? Dr. Ruth is LIVID...

I am LIVID!

Check out the LINKS TAB on this site:
http://www.ideabook.com
Specifically speaking, there is a good number of links under COMMUNITY / GETTING WORK. And now,  watch me segue...
WRONG "Segue"



 

99 LUFT DESIGNS
Beware of spec work and “competitive” sites offering “rewards” for the winning design. I was amazed at the amount of people that sign up for these sitse. Designers end up doing work and not getting paid. There are many clients who insist on specs who refuse to pay us for our time if they “don’t like” any of the designs. Of course, this is true in r/t also (real time). There is NOTHING like working yourself to death for no to little pay. Like me! Check em out:

http://www.no-spec.com/
http://www.sosfactory.com/blog/articles/freelancing/99designs-review/
http://graceoris.com/2011/03/how-i-quit-working-for-99designs-crowdspring-and-mycroburst/

There’s a Filipino saying that goes: “Walang manloloko kung walang magpapaloko.” This may sound a bit harsh but it’s something to think about. The best translation I can come up with is: “There would be no charlatans if there were no fools.”


 

HOW IT REALLY GOES DOWN
Watching this was like having flashbacks...






 
BUNNY CAM!
I stumbled upon BROOKLYN BUNNY’s bunny cam. I cannot begin to tell you the thrill I experienced watching a bunny eat out of a bowl and then lay down. It was as if I were watching my own bunnies who were actually napping:  http://www.bklynbunny.com 

Then it happened. The big IT. I saw BUNSPACE.COM. Needless to say,    
Sammy and Lance now have their own accounts on BunSpace where 
they talk to other buns. I think I may need to say that I forgot to take my meds.

Sammy’s profile receives this note from some hottie named Nibbles:
Hi Samuel  and welcome to bunspace you a handsome bun.  i left you some carrots.

That TEMPTRESS! That VIXEN!

In all seriousness, this is a good site for medical and daily care information… and also for crazy people (much like me).


 


SOLD! (ALONG WITH MY SOUL)
This is actually one of my favorite designs. I am contemplating a 3rd store strictly dedicated to the Raging Bunnehs. I would like to separate them out. I have to look into it a bit more, however. At least I would feel self important.
 
CLICK



BAMBI AND THUMPER

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

http://www.jokelibrary.net/animals/d_to_z/rabbit-bamb




 
I’M APPARENTLY NOT TOO OLD…
There is something to be said for not feeling so old and alone “out there” in that wide wacky world of design and illustration. I was truly beginning to sweat the small aging stuff. This article points out some wonderful strengths in being “older” and in the market. I mean, strengths besides being able to act crazy and having people think it is endearing. I can hardly wait until I am 99 when I start running naked down the sidewalk. I do not suggest putting that on a resume.
I got your portfolio RIGHT HERE...
I am a fellow freelancer – and no spring chicken either. My business is called FREELANCE GRAPHIC DESIGN & MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS. I am on Facebook and LinkedIn as well. Please contact me through my website. I’d like to learn more about you – I’m building a network of freelancers and may be able to assist. I’d like to tell you more about my business. (www.hirelynda.webs.com).
READ HERE:    TOO OLD TO BE A DESIGNER




LINK OF THE DAY
:
The site is not advertised. The quality is excellent and the pricing is fantastic! I love it when people send me in these directions. It just goes to show the importance of networking, even if you hate humanity.
I hate humans.





FROM THE SCARIEST PLACE ON EARTH - MY SKETCHBOOK
We all have these moments...
hmmph rmmph hmmmph!







No comments:

Post a Comment