Saturday, May 28, 2011

WIN SOME, LOSE SOME, WINSOME


Class is frustrating at best. Class is a living metaphor for life. I didn’t get taken in the 5/21/11 Rapture either. Nuff said.

disgruntled


OUT AND ABOUT IN TOLEDO, OHIO


A gaggle of police following a Rastafarian on bicycles. Notice the beautiful ply wood decor covering Ted's Hamburgers. This inventive and stylish makeover is seen throughout the city; a keen addition to our landscape during the FINKBEINER years.




I realize the image may throw a few of you off -- this isn't a flashback, it is Carnival Night! Please, don't feed  the carnies, they will follow us home. The excitement truly never ends in this town.




Normally, the parking meters will read, "FAIL." At first, I believed that it was some cosmic power prophesying my future. Then, I realized it was just a sad joke on the meter's part when it ate my change and gave nothing in return, including an hour of parking. This particular day, however, it was dEAd. A cosmic reference to my career, no doubt.






You gotta love when anyone can run at full speed with nuts in their mouth. You gotta love when any middle aged woman chases after a squirrel with a camera just because it has a nut in its mouth.




I Love this face.




ART VS. WTF IS THAT?
Andy Rooney is a trip to begin with. He must be about 172 years old by now, truly an animated fossil. God knows what the portrait in his attic looks like. Speaking of art, in this vid, Andy lets us know what he thinks of certain modern art pieces. I have to admit it, there are a few in there that I was thinking, “glorified masturbation.” (I mean, I thought that about the art, not about what I had planned for my day). Of course, I am very much in love with representational art so tend to be a bit put off when it comes to some abstract work.

I was once challenged (in terms of realism) with, “What’s the point – you may as well take a photograph.” Say that line in your head with a Turkish accent though. Well, perhaps my point is that I put my own spirit and style into the image. No matter how skilled the artist, we cannot replicate a model 100%. There are too many subtleties and nuances. So no, you may as well NOT take a photograph.  Another soul countered the anti-representational stance with: People only say that because they can’t draw.  Let us end the argument there.

I am going to buy a canvas, paint my rabbit’s feet and let him run across it several times. I will call it, “ACROSS THE GRAVE.” I bet I win all kinds of accolades from the Abstracters… Damn you Abstracters! How you mock me... Maybe I will even get a place reserved on the 7th floor… my luck, the freaking bunny will be the more popular artist.







SPEAKING OF ART - THE MOBA
This is a MOST exquisite site:
MUSEUM OF BAD ART
I was very ill when I stumbled upon this image of RONAN THE PUG:

Erin Rothgeb
18" x 24", acrylic on canvas board
Purchased by M. Frank at a Boston thrift store
MOBA #333
"O Danny Boy..."
The artist's affection for her dog far outstrips her artistic skill. Paint is slapped on the canvas with random brushstrokes, creating matted, impossible fur. Done in such a hurry that the canine anatomy was not even considered, the artist still captures Ronan's playful sweetness. Or perhaps the pup has just lapped up all the spilled eggnog at a holiday party and is ready to attempt a clear tenor rendition of "Danny Boy."

From: Museum of Bad Art: Masterworks by Michael Frank and Louise Reilly Sacco, Ten Speed Press.







I laughed so hard at the complete RONAN EXPERIENCE that the other people in my house thought there was something seriously wrong. In fact, people were set to phone 911. I should probably add that I was on some very good medication.



ILLUSTRATION TRUTHS



NEW STORE!!!
Yes, my minions, I am working on a separate store for RAGING BUNNIES. There are a few new things, but it is mostly me transferring the RAGING BUNNIES category from STUDIO566 over to its own store.  I believe this move will prove to be a good one.
I will have to clean up the side panel of this blog, however, as it is getting really busy over there. I am planning to dump the scrolling product windows and have the store banners only. This is my glamorous life—do try not to be jealous.





CHURCH LOGOS
I am stuck on one of my logo designs. It is for a ministry – so subconsciously I may be fighting against it. In my research I found this site:

http://churchrelevance.com/resources/top-church-logos

The beautiful thing about the top logos is that most of them aren’t beating you over the head with WE’RE A CHURCH! Of course, it hasn’t exactly helped my plight. I am still chugging away at it. I plight well. I am in the part of my process I like to call the, “^&*% ^&  *$%^   #$!*.” 

Probably not a good choice... but an original by Yours Truly.



FIRST THERE WAS ADAM
One of my favorite minions sent me this link. This guy (Adam) chronicles his life experiences through his illustrations:  http://www.booksofadam.com

The post specifically sent to me was this:
http://www.booksofadam.com/2011/05/never-be-my-friend.html
Now, I must confess, I have done the same thing. I sometimes also take your photos and put them into Photoshop and have a time of it. I have many pop eyed vampires in my repertoire.  Red eyed, lip sticked, green skinned antennae repertoire. Big head/tiny body, pimply faced, large mouthed repertoire. Of course, I actually post mine then y’all unfriend me.  Some of you even send me, “I HATE YOU DON’T EVER CONTACT ME AGAIN” notes of appreciation. 

Don't ever contact me again!

STILL HAVEN’T FOUND WHAT I’M LOOKING FOR
As designers we often get “stuck,” or are in deep need of inspiration. Ok – as a designer *I* often get stuck and am in deep need of inspiration. Logo Bliss has a gallery of stupendous logos to peruse:

More importantly, we should ALL study those logos which should never have been.




AND SO
Class logo: Product expansion into China





MY RABBIT EATING A BANANA





MY OTHER RABBIT EATING A STICK




MY GRANBUN HAPPY IN GRUNGY BASEMENT

 



NO CONSERVATIVES!

THANK GOD!




Is that a woofer or a tweeter?



1 comment:

  1. What makes it so funny is that it IS the truth. Thank You for that! I ♥ YOU.

    ReplyDelete