Thursday, May 5, 2011

REGARDLESS OF WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THE WORLD, IT'S ALL ABOUT ME

This has been a rather emotional month for the entire world, hasn't it? Between celebrations of a new life united and the shock and awe of a death (see what I did there?)  It has been a veritable political roller coaster ride with Sybil at the switch (that is a movie reference for all you whippersnappers: Google it). This kitsch pop culture reference reminds me, I have to take my meds...

My Alter Ego

THE UNITED STATES DID IT! WE TRUMPED THE ROYAL WEDDING!


STUDIO SHENANIGANS

Back to the topic at hand, Yours Truly. This week's work was inspired by... well... at least a banana. I do not get out of my cave much but I also stepped outside one afternoon. I feared the ball of flame hovering in the sky. After all of the vitreous floaters and spots cleared up, I realized the ball of flame was still hovering and would not fall on me. I could safely get on with it. These are the results of fruit and fear:

The assignment was to illustrate the concept of PEACE through different artistic styles. I took an adventure through Pop Art (Warhol, Lichtenstein), the Symbolist Movement (I would drop a name but for the life of me I cannot think of one right now) and Surrealism (Well, Hello Dali!). Why yes, I am trying to sound like I know what I am talking about... why do you ask?


The PEACE PIECE above (har!) was inspired by the broken coffee mug I suck the bean from every morning. I do this ritual at least 3 times before noon. I fed one of the rabbits a banana and drifted into Warhol's Velvet Underground banana, and there it is. Or maybe it was the morning hallucinations I experience until that 3rd cup. Seriously, I do not recommend drifting into anyone's banana before lunch.


The bunny rendering (ala Lichtenstein) just cracks me up. I fear it is one of those instances whereas I am the only one laughing at my joke. The above was inspired by one little thumbnail and my Honorable Number One Daughter. She is as goofy about her bunny (my GrandBun) as I am about mine. The thumbnail (shown below) is a bunny thinking bunny thoughtsWell, what I imagine to be bunny thoughts. I also move my bunny's lips and make him say it.

Bunny Thoughts Extraordinaire




I knew I wanted to play with symbols—specifically for Surrealism. I drew an organic vesica pisces. This reminded me of Lotus designs often found in East Indian/Hindu art. This made the jump to Gods and Goddesses and universal love. I am blue in the portrait to reflect VISHNU. The subject's gaze is towards the wall. The lotus wall is made up of a vesica pisces. I included my bunny ear tattoo to the design (on the wall) adding the OM symbol as his thigh. And yes, that is a real tattoo. I’m such a dork.



It's a whale swimming in the clouds. Groovy...


The latest assignment is in progress. I am working on a basketball shoe ad. I managed one little piece of the whole shebang. It is my feet. In fact, it is the view of my feet I have several times a day because I sit around with my feet propped up. I'm not using the name "Chuck Taylor" in my mock-up. The mock-up will be Penny Collins' line of high tops. I'm grabbing my own 15 minutes. All of the illustrations were rendered in Illustrator CS4. No one was harmed in the making of these projects.



MY HERITAGE

Like our fearless leader, President Obama, there has been some discrepancy about my heritage. I am posting my non-edited birth certificate for all to observe. Feel free to ask any questions, should you have them. This means questions about the birth certificate, not questions about why my couch is held together with duck tape (how ELSE would I hold it together?) – or why I put peanut butter and onions on my tuna salad sandwhich (because it’s damn good, that’s why!).



As you can clearly see, I am bonafide White Trash. Please, let us not make this about race. I *am* mixed, as you can see. My mother was Hillfolk and my father was Cracker. I *was* born in Akron, Ohio, Rubber Capitol of the World and home of the Goodyear blimp. I am contemplating an announcement to run for the office of Royal Highness of Walmarts. Let them eat cake! Lots of cake… with stale sugary frosting and a can of Bud Light.



WHAT SOME (TWO) MINIONS HAVE SAID ABOUT YOURS TRULY and/or THIS BLOG:

Dwight Bryan Says: You are never endingly clever and witty with your pithy comments and observations. I seriously think you need to add editorial writing or stand up comedy to your job skill description. 

Ronald A. Rainsberg  Jr. Says: You are the Monty Python & Firesign Theater of FaceBook ... A cult hit to many but misunderstood by more.

I am glad someone finds me humorous: it's a living hell being the only one laughing at my own wit.

How DOES the guy who plays Mr. Belvedere do it?

MY GOD! I CAN'T TAKE THIS KIND OF PRESSURE!




O SNAP
- I'M TOO OLD (ONE PERSON ON THE INTERNETS SAYS SO!)

http://www.creativefreelancerblog.com/designers/too-old-to-be-a-designer/

This article (link above) states that the general consensus is: if you are over 40, no ad agency will want you. This is exactly why online freelance work looks so good to me. I am 46 and yet… I can be ANYBODY online! I used to tell people I looked exactly like Angelina Jolie except that I was 4’ 11”. I even used a Face Book profile pic of Angelina Jolie with red hair and glasses. After a SLEW of unsolicited and lecherous private notes from all around the world, I pulled my own reigns back. I put my own face up. The unsolicited lecherous private notes stopped.  I was so saddened by the entire incident. I mean, about the fact the lecherous notes from around the world stopped. I had gone GLOBAL!



SPEAKING OF FREELANCE COMMISSIONS:
Since the birth and advent of MOTORCYCLE MAN, the commissions have been rolling in! I must thank all two of you that have hired me! I found the following page of inspiring logos. If you find yourself “stuck” in the logo process, a good methodology of digging yourself out is to find GOOD logo work to study. That is the key word, “GOOD.”

http://inspiredology.com/120-brilliant-logos/

Simple is always best. Simple does NOT mean easy, however. Paul Rand and Saul Bass are two of the most brilliant logo designers ever. Their use of image and little to no text approach is baffling in its genius. I want to be baffling in my genius, not just baffling.


LOCAL NEWS

A local news station featured a story about teen plastic surgery. The performance of the 18/19 year old with green eyeshadow was stellar. She explained how her dad supported her decision (what?) and he said, "Get them as big as you want!" (WHAT?). The Coup de Gras was found in one of  the final shot of the story was DOWN HER SHIRT.
As seen on: http://www.wtol.com

Really? I mean... REALLY?
My dad supported my decision...
I fear I must abdicate the crown for Royal Highness of Walmarts...




RANDOM POST OF THE WEEK
Seriously...

I used to keep this posted up in my cubicle when I worked in the first level of a place we liked to call "Hell" -- not to be confused with when I worked in the second level of a place we liked to call "Hell."




MOVIE TIME!
Here is a collection of this week’s distractions. The first one may as well be one of my rabbits eating a banana. I think it is funny. I do not know WHY I think it's funny, but I do. The Educational HP LOVECRAFT film won accolades at the 2005 Sundance Film Festival. It is unholy and remarkable -- much like my life. Wait... my life is unholy and UNremarkable. But I digress...

Then, witness the sheer genius of Joaquin Baldwin. He won a gig with DISNEY with this short animation.

NOM NOM NOM



Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom Nom .
Hey, it inspired art.


SEX ED

H P Lovecraft
Official selection at the 2005 Sundance Film Festival.
Director: Craig Macneill.


GENIUS
 


Joaquin Baldwin



No comments:

Post a Comment